Bomb-tastic Beet Burger
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Serving : 8 medium sized patties
3/4 cup of quinoa
1 can of black beans (if soaking your own beans approximately 1 cup)
1 cup of grated raw beets
1/2 of a large onion, chopped
1 tsp of cumin
A pinch of salt and pepper
1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper (optional)
1/2 of finely chopped walnuts
1) In a large skillet saute the chopped red onion with a little bit of olive oil, or the oil of your choice. Add a pinch of salt of pepper
2) Once the onions are soft and translucent, turn off the heat and add the black beans. Mash the ingredients together, leaving some texture.
3) In a mixing bowl, add your mashed beans and onions, the cooked quinoa, the grated beets and the rest of the spices.
4) Lastly add the walnuts, slowly. The ingredients should begin to stick to eachother
5) Refrigerate the mixture for about 20 minutes, before you form it into patties. This step isn't necessary but it helps the patties stick together. Preheat the oven to 375 F while they cool. (You can also cook the burgers on the grill if you wish)
6) Spray a cooking tray with olive oil or your preferred non-stick spray, and shape the patties to your desired size and thickness. The thicker the patty the longer it will take to cook.
7) Place them in the oven for 30-45 minutes, flipping the patties half way through.
8) Remove from the oven and use desired toppings and buns. Enjoy your healthy burger with friends and family!